Friday, August 24, 2007

Rilo Kiley - The Blacklight (2007)

I have been waiting for a new Rilo Kiley CD since the disappointment that was Jenny Lewis and the Watson Twins, and I have to say... sometimes it's hard when a band grows up. What I mean by this is that the sound and songs that made me fall in love with Rilo Kiley are no longer the same. Sure the core is still there, and even some of the song structure is the same. But that indie feel, that experimental feel... is no longer there. They've traded those handful of songs that you would skip to hear on the CD, for an album that you can easily and enjoyably listen to in one setting. In fact my drive to work is so long, and the CD so short that I can actually start it again before hitting the parking lot.

The band has a heavy electronic influence on this album, it works very well with the CD but again don't expect the same old Rilo Kiley. Lyrically there's many changes too, trading in songs with no chorus' for songs that repeat the same lyric again and again. That might put some people off and I can even see how some long time fans might be put off by this album. Myself, I have gotten past the point of hoping a band will never change and try to come into each album with no expectations otherwise all you'll get is disappointment. The CD definitely has a studio feel to it, losing that gritty basement recording sound the previous albums had; and pretty much sounds like the band is ready for radio adventures. Hopefully they'll continue making enjoyable music and not get lost in the hustle and shuffle of corporate radio. Like I said before it's hard when a band grows up, but at least from the sounds of it they're growing up right.


----------------
Now playing: "Breakin' Up" by Rilo Kiley
via FoxyTunes

No comments: