Wednesday, August 22, 2007

Renaissance - So familiar but you just can't place it

Perhaps this movie snuck by you like it did me. I recall seeing all the internet ads for it, I had the interest in it, but then one day the ads were gone and no theater seemed to be carrying the product I was looking for. The style is hard to place, since it almost looks cell shaded and CG, at times the characters move just like a real person. I'm fairly certain that some degree of real acting was done by the original French actors and I'm sure the information is available at my finger tips but I'm here to review a movie not the making of the movie so really let's begin.

Renaissance, is a bare bones story with cool effects and a unique presentation. A research Scientist for a Avalon goes missing, and the police are on the case. It's a mystery as to why the Scientist (Ilona) has been kidnapped, and who the villain behind it really is. That's pretty much it, the story is so familiar you'll swear you've seen it before. Probably because you actually have, but I really can't place it. The cop has a dangerous past voiced by Daniel Craig (Bond!) and for some reason he gets really involved in the case, and the missing woman's sister. Avalon is the company of the future that takes care of everything for you and comes complete with Billboards that turn on when you walk by and stare at you and everything. Of course their evil, but there's an evil doctor involved in the mix as well, who ends up being the bigger bad guy? Well they're French so probably everyone! Nah, just joking I love the French.

The action is okay, there's some invisible trench coat ninjas (they're just security guards but by damn they act like ninjas), the gun play is okay as well. There's a car chase scene that really didn't work with the cell shading/CG, but the on foot chase scenes worked very well and helped counter the car chase scene. The city looked good, but at times it was difficult to tell what level of the city you're looking at and the sidewalks were clear so the first time you see it, it's a bit confusing. Other than showing the Eiffel Tower once, you wouldn't think it was taking place in France.

Watching the movie I could spot it's many influences. Obviously Bladerunner and the Matrix being key influences. The overall plot and how the it was directed reminded me heavily of a Japanese Animation that I had scene, but can't quite place my finger on. The storyline and overall plot truly remind me of a movie I have already seen, but again I can't place it. If you're into CG/cell shading, or like animations and action, then give the movie a rental. I think that movie took some bold steps towards making interesting movies in this style; if you enjoyed Sin City's look then you'll like the shading and lighting of this movie. If the same company were to venture another CG/cell shading adventure, then I would definitely see what it has to offer.

No comments: