Friday, August 10, 2007

John Woo's Stranglehold - Xbox 360 Demo!

I played the demo for Stranglehold for the 360 today. Let me say that Sony was dumb as hell for not keeping this game exclusive to the PS3. Not only do the graphics look dope as hell, but it uses the Unreal Engine (last seen in Gears of War) which is by far the best gaming engine out there right now. As my roommate said, "It'll have you saying Max Payne who?" and I'm really inclined to agree with him. The bullet time, or "Tequila Time" is impressive as hell. You can slow down time with the Right bummer, then dive and automatically slow down time with the left trigger and then the D-Pad has more options. There's healing which of course is useful (Especially in Hard-Boiled Mode), then a sniper bullet which zooms in and allows you to make a perfect shot anywhere you want. Next is the barrage, where Tequila goes berserk and just keeps bucking shots one after the other. Lastly is a slow motion spin, where you turn rapidly in a circle and gun down all in your way. The game's for sure going to get a Mature rating and frankly I'm really happy about that. Fear not Xbox Live junkies, there's a multi-player, and it looks sick as hell. If you can stop playing the campaign and it's 4 different difficulties, you may get excited at the chance of playing as John Woo against other's online. I know I can't wait. I'll leave you with my favorite thing about the game; if you shoot signs or AC units they will fall and crush whoever is standing beneath them. It's hilarious! Looks like they'll be plenty of secrets to find through out, including some "Golden Guns", straight out of Face/Off. If Woo makes a movie as good as he's made this game then my ass will be in a seat instantly. I shamefully took this picture from IGN since I'm just a little site I don't have the ability or the hook up to post my own pictures from the Demo, but the game looks great.



6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Best gaming engine = most overused.

Still, when used right, it is awesome (I actually think "Unreal Tournament" can no longer live up to other games using its own engine).

Anyways, Stranglehold seems awesome, a 'must rent' at the very least.

Anonymous said...

how many times can you say 'as hell' in one article?

The Reviewer said...

Four times, I'd say you have problems counting but I'm not sure who to tell it to since you didn't leave your name. Thanks for the positive reinforcement... oh wait there wasn't any. Just what the internet needs another anonymous jerk trying to bring others down so that they can feel big about themselves. If you're to afraid to leave your name, then don't say anything at all!

Jason said...

I thought the demo was great as well. This may be the first game I'd buy from Midway in years! My favorite thing is being able to destroy everything in the environment. An action game lovers wet-dream.

Anonymous said...

I thought it looked ok. Though, "dope" - sorry man, i'm not 12 so I don't care for your kindergarten slang. It didn't look THAT good, other games look better. Even other games on the unreal engine look better( BioShock being a good example ). Even then, BioShock doesn't look that impressive, it looks about as good as anything else... with a few shading party bits thrown in for good measure. The unreal engine was in dev for too long, as a game developer I know this curse, essentially what the unreal engine is is a great engine in terms of pre-tech. As much as I hate Cry, their engine is at least up-to-date with current rendering technology( as is the 360 to a certain extent ). But, as an owner of both a 360 and a PS3( the first playstation I have actually considered to be worth my time ) I have to say, the 360 really isn't going to look good for long. Give it 2 or 3 years( which is ample time given the gap between new console generations ) and the 360 will look like the PS2 did compared to the original XBOX towards the end of its run.


...an please man, stop saying things like "dope" and "sick". Most people are reluctant to read blogs written by 12 year olds. Grow up and stop reading to others like a prepubescent muppet who's opinions are irrelevant to ANYONE with half a brain cell.

The Reviewer said...

Dear Anonymous,
What Kindergarten did you say you went to? I write my blog for the fun of it, I do not get paid for my opinion and everything I scan or images that I find, I do so ON MY TIME. If you do not like my swearing or "Kindergarten slang" then by all means, do not read my blog. If you wanted to post an intelligent comment then you would actually have searched other stories (ie BioShock and Fatal Inertia both which use the Unreal Engine) before posting a comment. Also comparing different styles and companies of game making is a little ignorant when you take into account that no one wants to play games that all look the same. That would be like dating a girl, and breaking up with her, for her. So you're a game developer? Which games have you developed? I find it interesting that you would rip-on (more Kindergarten slang, and Kindergarten is capitalized by the way) a potential player of your game. I guess that's why I rent them, I don't want to give people such as yourself money. Thank you for promoting the PS3, frankly all I care about are the games and since the PS3 still has yet to make a game that anyone wants to play (It had Stranglehold) we'll see if it can even make it to the end of the 360's shelf life. I don't know where in my review about a GAME, that the words, "The Xbox 360 will beat the PS3", came out but I guess I could have missed that. Also when posting a comment feel free to have a back bone and leave your name. Don't be a coward that hides behind a computer screen and feels all powerful when they attack someone else's opinion... it's sad what our society has come to.