Monday, July 16, 2007

Movie Review Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix

Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix

Directed by: David Yates
Screenplay: Micheal Goldenberg

Starring: Daniel Radcliffe, Rupert Glint, Emma Watson, Ralph Fiennes, Gary Oldman and Imelda Staunton.

So the fifth Harry Potter came out last Friday on the 13th, BOO! Yeah right whatever. So in my efforts to stop Transformers from making money I went a saw Potter. In retrospect I wish I hadn't gotten free passes to Die Hard so that it would have been that much closer to beating... trying to beat Transformers, but I got passes to Transformers too so I guess it didn't matter. Way off subject let's get to the movie at hand shall we?

Story: The story was, um, well it was okay. Personally I thought the last film was better and I have enjoyed each movie more than the last but I don't think this one topped any of the others. Something that was seriously lacking from the movie were the Scenes between Harry, Ron and Hermione talking and hanging out. There was literally one scene in the whole movie of them hanging out and it ended with everyone awkwardly laughing. Another complaint I have with the story/movie is that it felt like a sequel. The reason people like Star Wars and Spider-Man is because they feel like individual movies and that's what makes great series or trilogies is that each movie tells a story and has a clear beginning, middle and end. The movie in general just didn't seem to do much, it was like there was too much source material to work with and the writer didn't know what to take and leave.

Sound: Music was great, sound effects were awesome, I mean really how do you mess this up now a days? I did have one complaint where the music didn't drive home the emotions that it could have, it really fell flat at a crucial scene.

Look/Style: I may not care for what the director did with the movie but I loved the style, if they could take the director of the last movie and this one and put them together I think they could make a fantastic six film. The CG was top notch and I loved the smoke effect they did when the Wizards were fighting and Voldemort's look was cool especially in a three piece suit. So once again Potter comes through on the graphics.

Acting: It was good, I mean everyone has their roles down so it's pretty hard for them to screw it up at this point. I would like to have seen more of Ron and Hermione, both had a major lack of screen time and were reduced to cheesey dialog to help build there hinted upon romance.

Overall it boils down to the story, we know the sound, look and acting are going to be good so really at this point were just checking out the story. And this one fell a little short, it had good parts heck it even had some heart but the emotions weren't there that the other movies had. (Spoiler Warning) When Sirius dies I felt nothing, I was like okay... and? When Harry kicks Voldemort out of his head and there showing all his happy moments and Harry's showing his great strength I was like wow this is very good, the music was just hanging out instead of driving the scene home and making it a traumatic and great scene. It was still good enough to see it in the theater and that's not just my stop Micheal Bay from being successful champaign talking.

Story - 5.5
Sound - 8
Style/Look - 9
Acting - 9.5
Overall - 8


No comments: