Tuesday, July 24, 2007

Burn Notice - This Baby's Hot!

Apparently someone was able to make a spy show work on television, I'm betting the secret is casting! When I first was flooded with commercials for the show I was interested not so much in the story but the people playing the characters, I saw Jeffery Donovan and was like, "Interesting" then I saw Bruce Campbell and I checked my local TV guide for listings! Bruce Campbell doing another TV series? Hell ya I'm watching, but that made me also say, "I hope it doesn't suck!" I'm very happy to report that it doesn't and it's picking up momentum, or at least that's what a bunch of sites are and news outlets are saying. So congrats cast... keep it up!

Now it may be coming off that I'm not a fan of the show but I am, it doesn't mean the shows perfect but it is keeping my attention. The first episode gets a free pass since almost every first episode in TV history is sketchy. There's a running plot to the show, Micheal (Donovan) is trying to figure out who kicked him out, or burned him, of the CIA or whatever government agency he works for. Then there's the individual plots the fuel each episode, I liked the first, second and fourth episode, but I didn't really care for the plot of the third episode.

Bruce Campbell does a great job playing a Beach Bum Ladies Man and has just enough screen time. I just wish they'd stop bringing up the fact that he's informing on Micheal to the Feds. Micheal's Mom is annoyingly great, she annoys you enough to want to she her more, while also reminding you of how your own Mother can sometimes be. As far as Gabrielle Anwar, I think she's a little out of place in the show. She's so skinny and muscular that at I can't find her attractive in the "Sexy Spy Girl" role that she's playing, and again I wish they would stop bringing up her and Micheal's relationship every time they share the screen together. And finally Donovan... Can I say that he has the best narrations on TV? Can I America? Damn right, his narrations are the best part of the show. The should call it Burn Notice: Tips on being a Spy. The writers do a great job of keeping the spy stuff basic and not falling for the same crap other shows have by making it too "Bond"ish, instead the make it more MacGyver and less Spy Kids 3D.

So check out the show on the USA network, Thursdays. But hey it's Cable, I got to watch most of these episodes back to back again last Saturday so even if you've missed out you can probably catch up. Score Card 8.0.

No comments: