Friday, October 26, 2007

Superman, Action Comics, Green Arrow and why Judd Winick should probably retire from comics

So if you've been reading... hopefully someone has since I haven't been posting much, I've been catching up on the comics and I've pumped out quite a few including Batman and everything that could be considered a Bat-book, Superman and everything under that category and now I've started on Green Arrow. All in all I've read almost an entire box of comics which if you're a comic nerd/collector you know that those boxes can store a lot of comics!

So Superman... where the hell to begin with this mess? Well I've already covered Superman the series but as for Action Comics... well good luck figuring out any kind of time line. In-between the actually interesting Johns, Donner, Kubert run is a bunch of fill in stories that do 1 of 2 things. 1) prove my theory about Busiek only being as good as his artist or 2) bore the crap out of you and make you wonder what the hell's happening with the series. I'm actually very confused as to what's happening with the Kryptonian Invasion and I'm wondering... what the hell did I miss? Now he's on Bizzaro planet? Seriously what's going on? Otherwise it's a damn good book, not the best Superman I've ever read and Kubert's art is... not very fitting. I don't know if it's the colorist or if it's just him but the art is just not there.

Probably the best Superman book I've read so far was Superman: Confidential #1-5. I was disappointed that the storyline ended with issue 5. It's just a classic Superman with a hint of a modern twist, but was one of the most rewarding books I've read and I hope they finish the storyline. Cooke and Sale are a perfect team and I hope they do more work in the future.

As for Green Arrow, geesh, where to begin? I read like 15 issues of this book and still really think you could have trimmed it down into like... 5! I will continue with an open letter to Judd.

Dear Judd Winick,
I know that you were upset that you were taken off of Batman and that you probably could've milked the same storyline for at least 2 years much like you've done with GA. In fact you pretty much continued the storyline from Batman into GA which was pathetic, lazy and spiteful on your part. GA is now the poor man's Batman only he's a sucky character thanks to you. You were probably one of the only writers that spent the year after One Year Later explaining what had happened in that year... Let me tell you... it was boring to read about the mystery year. Back to the Batman thing since it's bothering me. I just find it so ridiculous that you continued your really bad Red Hood storyline into GA it was so half ass and not even worth it at the end. You taught Speedy a lesson? Great... to bad she's a hollow character because you write her one dimensional for the most part or she's just GA's Robin since all you do is try and make her look better than Robin instead of making her, her own character. Also I know you're friends with Brad Meltzer who did a great job with Deathstroke in Identity Crisis but you are not Brad and you're Deathstroke is not cool. He talks to much, he's not that scary and frankly I think anyone could take him in a fight if you weren't writing him. Also I'm pretty sure you're gay and know someone with HIV, which I have no problem with other than the fact that you shove it down peoples throats every time you write a comic. Lesbians in the Outsiders, Homosexual's getting beat up in Green Lantern, HIV in GA when do you stop shoving? This goes for everything, no one wants to hear your view constantly, whether it be religion, sexual preference, or cookies. We get it stop the shoving you're not doing anything about the issue by putting it into a comic. Also the fight scene between GL and BC was pointless and pathetic and seem so out of character for the both of them that I couldn't help but laugh... a skip a few pages forward. Upon receiving this I hope that you'll just start writing you're own characters that way you can see how hugely successful you are..n't.

As a note I'm not reading the new GA series as I find it to be a complete joke and waste of time. If they had relaunched it with a different writer then I might have checked it out but after reading his last GA I really don't see the point and have to say that it was a bad move on DC's part to leave him on the book. Maybe when they wise up and replace him I'll give it a shot.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Hey,
my assumption is you won't post my remark, but your argument would be more effective if you got the name of the comic your commenting on correct.
GREEN ARROW ( GA) not GREEN LANTERN ( GL)
simple mistake, but truly takes awake from the flame job.

The Reviewer said...

David,
Never assume, you're comment had a valid point and if you hadn't pointed it out I would never have been able to fix it. :) If anyone else was still reading my blog I'm sure I would have received more comments about it and they probably would have been nasty, so thank you for taking the time to read it and let me know.