Monday, October 8, 2007

Making the Cut - Robin

Let me just say this first, Can I get some character consistency with this guy? Please? Every book I read that has Robin is completly different than the next and frankly I only like him in Batman. We're he a Bruce actually try to act like Father and Son. In his own series he constantly wonders if he can trust Batman, over and over and it's just ridiculous. Teen Titans is just whatever, I haven't gotten caught all the way up on the book yet but I don't think anyone will argue that he's different in that book as well.

As I read this book I couldn't help but think that some DC editor was trying to capture the magic of Ultimate Spider-Man with all the teen dating and break ups and blah blah blah. The thing is, I'm pretty sure no read of this book would even think to compare the two because of how boring this book is. The Character Dodge (I use the word "Character" loosely) is a crappy character there's no getting around that. He was bullshit when they created him and if everyone else didn't figure out that he was going to become a villain because Robin didn't like him then well maybe this book really is for you... I stopped reading this book with the issue above, whereas Nightwing had made me interested to see just how bad the book could get and how inconsistent the villains could continue to be... Robin has done nothing but bore me and since the art really isn't that good and the dialog pretty much sucks the big one I've got no reason to come back to this book until DC forces me into picking it up during a killer cross-over or something.

That's pretty much always been my problem with Nightwing and Robin's books, they don't do anything. They don't hold any weight in the rest of the DCU, hell they don't even cross over with other books. That doesn't mean it has to be like Manhunter where she's guest starring in her own book, but even Firestorm had some decent guest stars or cross-overs with other titles. Robin's own book doesn't cross-over with Teen Titans the group he leads... I mean come on how easy would that be? From the very start of both of these books they have simply been a cash in, another book to add to the Batman line and nothing more. Hopefully the slumping sales will force DC to either cancel the books or finally make them interesting. After all Marv Wolfman couldn't save Nightwing after the One Year Later fiasco, and I couldn't even tell you one other thing the Robin writer has written... nor would I want to read something else he's written. Robin is another title that doesn't make the cut I'm afraid.

No comments: