Thursday, October 11, 2007

MADE the cut - Catwoman and The Outsiders

Surprise, surprise, there's actually a few books that made my chopping block! I won't go all rant crazy on them but yeah I was actually surprised by these two books. I still have my gripes with them on a few things but sometimes I have to take into account that they aren't meant to be read back to back like I'm doing but rather month to month. Catwoman's book was probably the second best book to tackle the One Year Later fiasco and actually make it work. Lopez's art on the book is consistent and very fitting, not only with the writing but also with the character. It just goes to show that sometimes a book just needs a constant team to produce a good book rather than a thousand different artist and writers taking a stab at it one month to the next. I strongly believe that that's what's wrong with comics today is that they companies don't lock down these creative teams but rather throw there up and comers on struggling books or use them as fill-ins and say, "Prove yourself!" they also do the same with the superstars only this time they say, "Make it sell!" Myself I have given up on reading a book just do to the writer and definitely due to the artist. Yes I will give them an issue or two to see if it's worth reading but I know longer cling to the theory of well they were good once they're good always. Back to Catwoman though, I haven't read the newest issue yet and the next issue has her stealing from Bruce Wayne for some reason and her life as Selina is completly gone and that frankly has me really interested. What interests me more is her role on the Outsiders which I just got done reading and was like wow, two books that I like tying into each other... alright, good going DC. Even if the creative team changes I'll still give this book a chance since it didn't make me feel like I had wasted my money collecting it for a year and never reading it.

As for the Outsiders, they almost didn't make the cut. But then Judd (I have to make a least one character Gay in whatever book I'm writing) Winick got booted off the book and things really started to turn around. I like the concept of the Outsiders, I like the team and wish that some of the members were still on it. I like the fact that Batman's leading it. In fact I wish he weren't even on the Justice League and I don't like the fact that DC's going the way of Marvel and making all the heroes register and keeping tabs on them. The joy of DC has always been that it just seemed magical, all these made up cities with these characters that the people in the world loved and respected. DC isn't like the real world so don't make them like that. The Outsiders are going this way to, but at least its interesting and the team auditions were some of the best Outsider stories I had read in my year and a half of collecting and not reading any of the books.. spree I guess you could call it. I do hope that they add some other members that are more interesting, I liked the fact that it was always a couple of really well-known characters mixed with a bunch of B and C-listers.

Both books really caught my attention I just hope they keep it, but DC may have gotten me for another six months to a year and unlike Robin and Nightwing I feel these books have a point rather then just giving the fans of the character something to read and be disappointed with.

No comments: