Tuesday, October 30, 2007

More DC for me please! and some Quick Hits!

So I'll try not to blotch this one up as I proceed to review Green Arrow: Year One, Black Canary, Connor Hawke: Dragon's Blood and Green Lantern Corps, and some quick hits!

Green Arrow: Year One - This is how Green Arrow should be! Diggle and Jock are one of the best teams in comics and I can't wait to see what project they take on next. I would love to see an ongoing of GA: YO but I doubt DC has the grapes to do it. If for some reason you think I'm blowing smoke up your ass I have evidence from DC, on just how good this book is. Issue's 1 and 2 both have blank of four on the cover, but issue 3 became blank of six. Meaning the extended it for two more issues. Yeah it was probably just to help tell a better story and not actually due to popularity, but it still got me excited about reading two more issues of it. If you don't know the history of Greeny then pick up the book because I'm not going to sum any of it up for you, the book is just too good to ruin for anyone.

Black Canary - The first issue is titled, "Living With Sin." Referring to the little girl that Gail Simone (Ex-writer of Birds of Prey) stuck Black Canary with. That's really all this mini-series was there to do, get rid of the little girl so that DC could write Green Arrow and Black Canary however they wanted. Within the book Black Canary seems like a sub-character and GA even narrates one of the issues. Once again they make GA just way to bad ass for who he is and what he does. I don't know why DC is trying to make him more Bad Ass then Batman but with a better love life, it's just lame and not very interesting for his character. If I had read all the wedding nonsense I wonder how many books I would have found that BC says yes to GA? Too many probably. Also the ending is ridiculous as any sane woman would never have excepted GA's proposal after the shit he pulled, it just goes down as another example of how forced this wedding is and that no one reading comics should be happy about it.

Connor Hawke: Dragon's Blood - This book was actually pretty good. It was typically Chuck Dixon, "I stick to action" but this time I could help but be sucked into the book... until the last 2 issues any ways. Whereas GA Year One needed two more issues, this book needed 2 less. It really felt like he didn't know how to fill that many pages and started adding filler to the story. The ending was horrible and pretty much ruined the character for me. Also I have no idea what time frame the book took place in but assume it had to be the past since it didn't mention anything happening in the GA world today. The art was awesome though and saved the book which wouldn't have been as good without it. The soft-cover is for sale now so if you're just a huge fan of the character or something then check it out.

Green Lantern Corps - Gosh I read a lot of issues of this series... starting from issue 3 all the way up to 13... I've got the whole series thus far... and really don't like the book one bit. The art sucks, the coves suck, there's too much pointless dialog. I wish they stick to just three characters at a time rather than trying to cover the entire corps. There was an interesting story, plagued by bad dialog, where there was a Corpse. Basically the anti-hero version of the Corps and they can kill and their powers are contained within themselves. It was pretty cool... too bad it doesn't fit into the War that's going on and will probably be forgotten until some years pass, but it was still pretty cool.

QUICK HITS!!!

Batman & Robing The Boy Wonder #7 - I don't care what people say this book can come out whenever it wants and do whatever it wants because it's the fucking good. This is how Black Canary should be and I think the idea of her hooking up with Batman rather than a wannabe Batman is cool. I would love to write that story since this book gave me a bunch of ideas for it. Great book as always!

Robin #166 - Didn't read 165... don't really care. How do you get rid of a character that's sheer presence means he'll have to become a starring character in the book? Kill him off of course. Dodge was a bad character and I don't know why the writer handled him the way he did. But to fix his own mess he opted to kill Dodge off rather than make him a character that didn't suck. I don't see myself reading 167. Sadly I'm still kinda interested in the book but there's just not enough to bring me back to it. I still think it's just a DC cash in book like Nightwing and Green Lantern Corps.

Simon Dark - I just realized that this book was written by Steve Niles, and I guess that's why it didn't suck and I'm actually looking forward to the next issue. The art was very detailed and had a familiar style to it, that I really enjoy. I thought it was just a mini-series since DC rarely takes chances on on-going titles anymore. It's almost their company policy to have a 6 to 8 issue mini then launch an ongoing with a different team and watch it fail. I really like Simon Dark though and I look forward to seeing how he fits in with Gotham.

Gotham Underground - Calafiore is a decent artist... on Exiles... but nothing more. Underground was pretty boring, Penguin is running an Underground Railroad for super-villains that are getting pick up by the Suicide Squad *Cough* Thunderbolts ala Civil War *Cough* and Batman is investigating. Two-Face and Scarecrow and Mad Hatter all make appearances and are completly out of character. Scarecrow was left scary and new at the end of Detective Comics, Two Face hasn't made his bad ass return after One Year Later but I expected him to be less of a sissy, and Mad Hatter was a lunatic after his run in Secret Six which also but a scary new twist on him. In this book they're all cowards and it doesn't even make sense that someone with their resources would need the Penguin. The Squad shows up and busts all of them including the Penguin. Lame!

Superman #667-668 - Sigh... Does Busiek really need two story lines happening at the same time? Were still wrapping up Camelot Falls and then it switches over to The Third Kryptonian which is equally cool but by having both running at the same time, you take away from both! The Third Kryptonian is more than likely going to die so that Superman can live and we can't have that many Super people running around or it'll get boring. Still like the book I just wish DC wasn't so deadline happy and forcing 2 stories at once.

Well I've said to much but at least you only have to read one post rather than a bunch which is what I would have typically done. Feel free to send in disagreements and opinions.

No comments: