Friday, June 22, 2007

Straylight Run - The Needles The Space (2007)

This week Straylight Run's second CD came out. I'm not going to bore you will all the band's history, if you want something about that I would check wikipedia I'm sure they have every boring detail written down in even more detail then really needed. What I can say is that this album is leaps and bounds better than their first CD. The first CD's only good songs were the songs from the internet EP/Demo that the band released to get everyone interested in their sound. As for the second CD throw out everything you know about the band and start expecting Indie, light rock singing. After the first two songs I was instantly comparing it to Headlights, Rilo Kiley and several other bands that I still can't come up with. The CD is strong but not without it's weaknesses.

The first five songs stand out and yell "Single, Play me on the radio now!" I really could not choose which one I would send to the stations first. The sixth song is good but it's political and frankly no one's saying anything new. Everyone wants to criticized the president but no ones saying anything we haven't heard before and probably done better. I'd rather there be a political song taking personal responsibility about letting GW in the White House rather than bagging on what an idiot he is. Unfortunately it's still a good song and I found myself just ignoring the message the second time around and just really enjoying the hook and music. This is another CD that has a strong begin but a weak end. Like I said the first six are great, but the next five felt like filler and didn't stand out like the start of the CD did. Thankfully tracks 11 to 13 saved the CD from being another lack luster attempt from the band. Something I did enjoy was that there were move female vocals on this CD and that they were good songs. The last CD didn't have much of her vocals even as background and when she did sing it was like she didn't care about what she was singing. This CD however she had some catchy lyrics and interesting songs to go with them. A major weakness for this disc though, is the fact that it alternates from Male to Female vocal songs, literally going Male then Female and back to Male. I understand that they were probably trying not to establish either as a dominate voice on the CD and frankly her voice is so good that any record exec looking for the next Rilo Kiley or what not would probably make her the lead in a heart beat, but that would ruin the band. So the alternated when really they could have done One Male, a couple Female, then maybe alternate and finish with some Male Vocals. I sat there wondering how long they were going to keep it up and it finally brakes at track 7.

I would give this CD a strong 8.5, like I said it's not without it's weaknesses, but it has a lot of strength's that help it stay afloat in the overpowering Music scene today. Another great thing about this CD is that you can buy it for $8.50 on Smartpunk which is where I purchased my copy. I know a new CD that doesn't suck for under 10 dollars? Heck I bet other places might even have it as cheap without the shipping but hey it's still a heck of a deal. If you enjoyed the first album tread lightly with this one. Do not go and listen to the first album and then think the new one is going to be riding the same boat because it won't be, but hey even then I think you'll probably still really enjoy this CD.

No comments: