Sunday, June 17, 2007

Modest Mouse - We Were Dead Before the Ship Even Sank

Modest Mouse
We Were Dead Before the Ship Even Sank (2007)

If you are a fan of Modest Mouse then please take this moment to excuse yourself from this review. This review is not for people that have an opinion or the now typical Band-Fan. A Band-Fan is like a Comic Book Fan-Boy, the Band can do no wrong in their eyes and no matter what it's a great album even if they themselves only listen to the single. Music is plagued with Band-Fan's and so this review is not for them. This review is for people that objectively listen to music and even if they loved the last album, will not misplace that love on to the next. It's okay to be disappointed with an album, Lord knows I've been disappointed plenty with bands I've followed. I still give them a chance though, you never know when they're going to strike gold again. Again, if you're a Band-Fan then just go give this album 4.5 out of 5 some where else.

Overall I would give this album a 5.0 as well but my scale goes to 10 making this album average. If you've listened to the radio I'm sure you've heard the single "Dashboard" and I must say I really like this song. The build up is good, it has the singers classic little explanation mark vocals which is the only way I can describe what he does. It's almost like he's reading a story and just as he gets to the end of the sentence he notices an explanation mark and starts reading louder. This song and "Missed the Boat" the Newest single are both really good songs. In fact in the seven times I've listened to the CD I only found Four songs that I cared to listen to again.

"Fly Trapped in a Jar" will more than likely be the next single and is probably the second best song on the album. Other than that the only song I liked was "Fire it Up." But it seemed liked they had just watched the scene in The Crow with the Bad Guys yelling Fire it Up and wrote a song with it. They lyrics to the song are ridiculous there's a line that goes, "Like trying to save an Ice Cube from the cold." Yeah I get it, your saying it's pointless but that has to be the most ridiculous saying I've ever heard. Also I think that bands the receive any amount of success from a CD are better off making a 10 track CD. They get too ambitions with the next album and end up making half of it filler. Track 10 "Little Motel" was a decent song, not a good song but good enough that I didn't skip it after listening to it so much. Track 11 through 14 were the worst songs on the CD. It became painful to listen to them and finally I just stopped trying.

If you could rent CD's I would say wait for a friend to rent it then listen to it, but since you can't I suppose you'll have to go to an MP3 site and download the single tracks you like, hopefully they'll let you listen to it before you buy. As for me I wish they let you return CD's because I don't think I'll ever need to listen to the CD again since the singles played plenty on the Radio.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Your review is laughable, bordering terrible.
Do you even listen to music? Clearly writing about it isn't how you make a living.
I'd LOVE to see some of your really insightful lyrics, and I'd love to see you write a song nearly as emotionally complex as Little Motel (contender for the best song Isaac Brock has ever written, and he's written some decent tunes).
This album also brings to the table a concentrated amount of rock energy moreso accessible (and acceptable) to the general public than previous Modest Mouse (going back, before the previous album "Good News for People Who Love Bad News"), that I'm quite surprised you're not into it.

Anonymous said...

Also, don't moderate your comments --- let your readers SPEAK and RESPOND. Bullshit.

The Reviewer said...

Everyone wears different ears, everyone is raised on different music styles and influences. The fact that you want to hear my insightful lyrics without offering any of your own is pathetic. Here's some advice that I hope you check back and follow. One when reviewing a review you can only criticize grammar and structure, basing your criticism on my criticism proves that you are a "Bandfan" which means they can shit on a plate and you'd still find it "insightful." Did you actually read my review? Because I stated that I did not own every album and had not been following the bands entire career. I hate "Bandfan's" like yourself because you, yourself can't take criticisms so you feel personally attacked when something you like is negatively reviewed. Unless you helped in anyway shape or form with the Cd then can't say anything to someone who didn't like it. Simply put everyone can like what they want to like. Also I moderate my comments to prevent spam from appearing on my site, YOU ARE NOT MY READER! You are an over opinionated person that found one thing they were interested in here and decided that in the heat of the moment post a comment and want instant gratification by seeing it on the site so that everyone could know that Mr. Bad Ass Anonymous didn't like the review. If you did read my site you would see that other then spam comments trying to sell people stuff, that every comment has been posted even negative ones, you should look into that before blasting someone for something you know nothing about. Also if you're going to post a comment and feel I should " let my readers respond" then have the courage to put your name to it, as I have. The internet is full of cowards that hide behind their computer screens, until you can show you're better than they are, further comments attacking my opinion (which I'm entitled to, in case you didn't know) will not be posted. You should try reading the site sometime you might actually find something you like on this totally free site that I get paid absolutely nothing to do and spend my own time doing because I enjoy it.