Thursday, September 13, 2007

Halloween 2007 - Halloween will never be the same!

Halloween 2007 - So perhaps I'm not the one that should review this having never watched the original, although some would say that's why I should because I have a fresh take on it and can just watch it for what it is a Horror Movie. I'm a fan of Zombie's last two movies and since this isn't IMDB I'm not going to list them just to prove I know them, anyways I was interested in what he would do with this film and was happy when he kept it during the same time line as the original. I think that's why the movie worked so well and why all his movies work is because he doesn't modernize them, he keeps them in the era that invented horror as we know it today. At Comic Con Zombie said his film would be different because it was about Michael Myers and not about the people he was killing, and he was not lying, this movie is 100% about Myers.

Tyler Mane was the perfect choice and frankly I would like to see him in more roles like this, I mean he's already pretty scary looking in real life but give him a knife and a mask and he's scary as hell! Even though he didn't talk, his body language spoke loud and clear and that takes a talented actor but also a talented director to be able to show it the way he did. Young Myers was actually quite impressive for a child actor, he was able to flip the switch between psycho killer and playful child very easily. I wonder if he'll grow up demented because of this movie? He did some pretty intense things during the course of the film. Since I'm on actors, I want to say that whoever casted this film did a great job. I actually believed that the girls were friends and could picture them hanging out in real life, I doubt that's the case but hey I believed it could happen while watching the movie. Most impressive was Scout Taylor-Compton as Laurie, even though I knew bad stuff was going to happen all around her I felt bad for her as they did. She really was just a likable character and it sucked to see her going through all that shit. The two baby-sat kids did a heck of a job and it was hard to tell if they were acting or if they just threw them in a room and said be yourself and turned on a camera, they were both very natural and could turn out to have quite the careers ahead of them.

Something that I don't think a lot of people will catch, or if they do they'll view it in a negative light, was all the cussing. I'm not talking about the, "Oh shit there's a killer outside my door" cussing, I'm talking about when the Dad was like, "Oh shit, my car keys." Totally un-needed right? I stood out to me, and then a couple more character did it, then a couple more, and I realized something... this isn't any different then how I talk all the time, at work or with my family. It's just not something that is brought to light in movies, that real aspect of how we talk in everyday conversations and I just thought that was brilliant. Especially at the begin when the Meyer's family is way dysfunctional they cuss a lot and instead of it feeling force or getting tired of it, you accept it because you just turned to your friend and said, "Damn they cuss a lot." If anyone watches it again or for the first time, pay attention, and then pay attention to how much you swear every day. I liked this movie, I liked Myers and what Zombie and Mane did with it. Heck I really liked Mrs. Zombie and loved it when she really switched gears and actually looked like a Mom! I'm not a fan of remakes but like I said before the movie came out, "If you're going to remake a horror movie... wouldn't you rather have Zombie, a total horror fan, do it rather than someone else?" The answer to that question is, "Yes!"

No comments: