Tuesday, September 11, 2007

Countdown to the Final Crisis... of a new crossover!

Another 6 issues of Countdown have come out so it's time to talk about another 6 issues of Countdown. I'll be short this time, I'm not going through each issue and for the most part I'm going to pretend you know what I'm talking about rather than boring you with the details of each book. Pretty much all I have are issues with this book, no they're not typical Fanboy issues of this character shouldn't do that or whatever typical Fanboy's grip about. My first issue with this book is that it's horribly rushed at times, which I could easily fix for them... stop recapping each character in every issue. Seriously I'm beginning to wonder if Dini and company or even the rest of DC even read 52? If they did, they would have noticed how issues would feature certain characters and sometimes the whole gang, but not ever issue. It gets really boring reading two pages about Jimmy Olsen and not knowing the what's, why's and how's of the situation that he's in simply because there isn't enough time. And they're parts that I've frankly just stopped caring about, for instance the group searching for Ray Palmer, don't care, they don't do anything interesting or say anything that isn't forced or frankly just dumb. Another storyline I don't care about is the Rouges. I started off iffy about them, then I really stopped giving a damn, and now I'm just tired of them being the only story we're following 100%.

Piper and Trickster are the only two that we follow every where, if they take a shit, we're there, and I don't care anymore. They killed the Flash, yet in Countdown they say they didn't. They have no redeeming character qualities to care about and yet the book asks you to root for them, but I can't they are murderers plain and simple. I'm also very much so done reading about Catwoman's buddy and Harley Quinn who just can't seem to find a home outside the animated cartoon. They just hang around and now they're becoming Amazon warriors big deal, they haven't done anything for almost two months now. My last grip for this book that's really sinking fast, is that fact that for the last six issues at least (possibly more but I can't remember) is that someone will be saying something like, "We wouldn't want to walk into a..." and it'll cut off, then on the next page a different character will finish the sentence, "Trap!" This has been happening with EVERY, SINGLE, TRANSITION! I find it very far fetched that every character is A) always talking about the same thing and B) Using the same dialog to do so. So Dini and company are you saying that none of these character's have an original voice, that they all talk the same? Because that's how this book reads. None of the characters read any differently from the others, and since the art's not that good we have to be thankful that they're wearing costumes otherwise I wouldn't know who's talking. I'll probably continue reading this book for another couple issues, I'd like to at least buy it till the name changes to Countdown to Final Crisis, but I'm not sure I can last that long. I knew the gimmick of having a weekly book would fade, but I didn't think it would fade in the middle of that book. PS the covers are starting to bore me too!

No comments: